Mosaic Tray - project instructions
GLASS & TILE
1) Put tumbled glass in trays or bins for easy access by student artists.
2) Give each student a tile. If students are grouped around a common table with glass trays in the center they can share glass and glue. If they are seated at individual desks the glass can be put on a common table and students can use plates, cups or bowls to collect glass and then return to their desk.
3) Emphasize to students that anything they can draw or paint can be created with glass. The glass is also very beautiful in abstract designs, patterns or colors on their tile. If they are trying to create a picture such as a flower or heart they should make sure the colors of the background glass contrasts (is different from) the color of the main image. The mosaic tile work is just like creating an art puzzle. Many students will take great delight in carefully piecing the shapes together. Searching for just the right piece of glass is one of the great pleasures of this project. There is no wrong way to do this project! ( attention adults: loosen up).
4) Spread glue evenly on the tile using the tip of the glue bottle to spread. It should be spread thick enough to hold the glass but not so thick that it runs and drips on the table. The glue will dry clear and you will be grouting the tray so don't worry too much. we have found that it is often easiest with young students to have an adult spread the glue and then let the children concentrate on the designing. Older students will have their own glue techniques.
5) Once the glued tiles are dry (about 2 hours) you can glue them into the wood frame with tile adhesive in a pattern that pleases you. Allow this to dry for 24 hours.
A) Have at least 3 clean rags per mirror handy.
B) protect the wood frame closest to the tiles by putting masking tape on it.
C) in a bucket or bowl mix the sanded grout with water to the consistency of brownie dough or cake frosting.
D) Spread grout all over the tiles in order to fill in all the cracks and spaces between glass pieces. Use circular motions to insure that air bubbles are gone and all spaces are filled.
E) With your clean rags start cleaning the excess grout off the glass until it looks beautiful. All cleaning must be done while the grout is still wet. Clean rags are the key to this step. Let the grouted piece dry for 24-36 hours.